How can we help in the protection of our sea turtles?
As part of the celebration of “World Turtle Day” on May 23 as well as the celebration of SPAMI (Specially Protected Areas of Mediterranean Importance) day on May 20, we participated together with the Youth Association of Polis Chrysochous in the cleaning of Lara beach, which is a sea area.
If you are a visitor to beaches that our Sea Turtles nest, Green and Caretta-Caretta, then you can also contribute to their protection, so more turtles find their way to the sea.
Below, there are some guidelines that we should follow when we are on that beaches in Summer.
Specifically, within the protected area Lara – Toxeftra from June 1 to September 30 are prohibited:
- The installation of umbrellas and beds
- The use of tents and / or caravans
- Staying on the beach and the coastal area at night, starting one hour before sunset
- Fishing in any way (nets, spearfishing, etc. except with the rod from the shore)
While throughout the year it is forbidden:
- Driving any vehicle on the beaches.
- The collection of crabs from the beach, which are a protected species throughout Cyprus
- Pollution (garbage disposal)
- The lighting of fire (coals etc)
It is also pointed out that the passage or mooring of a boat in the area is prohibited from May 1 until October 31.
More information and instructions for the protection of spawning beaches of sea turtles in Cyprus during the summer season can be found on the website of the Department of Fisheries and Marine Research (DFMR) (only Greek)