The European Commission proposes a new regulation for the restoration of ecosystems.
The aim of the so-called “restoration law” is to set binding targets for the restoration of ecosystems on land and sea.
During the public consultation, Terra Cypria submitted comments and suggestions.
Inter alia, Terra Cypria Suggested:
- Large-scale rehabilitation throughout the European Union.
- Objectives should be binding, specific, quantified, realistic, achievable and with a time frame.
- To build on the existing obligations of the relevant European Union directives but to strengthen them and fill the gaps.
- To oblige Member States to draw up National Restoration Plans.
- National rehabilitation plans must be binding for the Member State, evaluated and approved by the European Commission.